Edward W. Kilpatrick Elementary School
Edward W. Kilpatrick Elementary School is the oldest building in Paterson built for education and still in use as an educational facility. In 1870 the facility was built as Public School #6. From the beginning it has served as a primary elementary, high school, and a vocational school that prepared candidates for the teaching profession. When the present P.S. #6 on Carroll St. was built in 1921, this building became the Thomas Edison Vocational and Technical High School. In the early 1930's, the name of the school changed to the Passaic County Vocational and Technical High School. At this time, an addition was constructed to the rear of the building to provide space for students instructed in the automotive and textile trades. In the early 1970's, the new Vo-Tech was built and this building renovated and renamed the Edward W. Kilpatrick School in dedication to a former Assistant State Commissioner of Education.